Thursday, October 29, 2009

Second Opinion Please


Seven days no call. I called the Mayo Clinic appointment line and told them I needed a second opinion and that I was not happy with my doctor, Dr. Not (formally known as Dr. Hot). Second opinions are so okay and common that I knew a place like the Mayo Clinic would hook me up. Especially if I'm unhappy with one of their doctor's. I stood with my shoulders back and head held high.

"You'll have to go through his office to get a second opinion."

I was not expecting her to say that. "Okay, I guess connect me."

I won't make you read through the entire conversation but basically I can't get a second opinion without going through the doctor that I was unsatisfied with.

So after all this Mayo Clinic whoopla, this is where I'm at. I have one doctor from the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida who didn't take time investigating any cause of my pain. He looked at my records briefly, did a brief exam and ordered an MRI and a colon x-ray and briefly looked at the results. He determined that I probably have scar tissue problems and need pain management. Between the fasting for the MRI twice and not being notified that they cancelled it and the no return phone call makes me feel like they just didn't give a crap about me.

Then I have three doctor's, two deal with pain management and rehab and the other is a gastro doctor disagree with what the Mayo Clinic thinks. All three of these doctor's were more thorough in the exam, questions and caring. This gastro doctor wants me to TRY the pancreas enzymes. He said it would take a month or two to work.

If the Mayo Clinic is right my scar tissue may get worse and this is my life we are talking about. The thought of having more pain down the road because I didn't listen to the Mayo wasn't acceptable.

I cannot believe that the Mayo wouldn't let me schedule a second opinion. That sucks. That really really sucks.




No comments:

Post a Comment